Can I See How My Web Page Used to Look?
Can I see how my website looked in the past? Yes, you can! With a free resource called The Internet Archive, you can see how any website looked at various points in time.
Why would you need to pull up an old version of a web page? Sometimes it’s more out of necessity than nostalgia! Consider some examples:
- You’re being sent to court and need to know exactly how a website looked on a certain day.
- You need to know which version of your Terms & Conditions was live on a certain day in history.
- You redesigned your website and want to see the before & after.
- You have revised your web page a few times and want to see content that used to be there a few months ago.
- You need to see content that is older than the oldest “post revision.”
- You need to find content for an older page that you deleted.
Clearly, there are several reasons why it might be helpful to pull up an older version of a website.
Thankfully, The Internet Archive has over 500 billion web pages saved throughout various points in time.
Are there any limitations of The Internet Archive? You might not always find an image you need, but the text will always be there! Plus, every single revision won’t be available, but you’ll generally find several different snapshot points to choose from.